I didn't think it would ever happen to me. I'd pushed this drama to the back of my brain, but something in Donna's blog yesterday about inheriting Anny Blatt yarn brought it bubbling to the surface.
When Narelle and I were in San Francisco in October of 2000, she bought some Anny Blatt silk at Yarn Garden (which I think has since closed). After she died I planned a short-sleeved jacket using this yarn, in garter stitch because it's quite soft and droopy, and I have knitted this:
Pretty, huh? I've completed the back and one front. But there's a problem. Although I thought I'd planned very carefully, one of the colours, the dark one, was a viscose tape, not a silk. It looks like this:
And there was less of it on the ball than there was of the others so, you guessed it, right at the top of the second front I have run out of it. Just below the neck shaping, 10 short stripes short of the top. (I had planned the sleeves not to have the dark colour in them.)
So now I have a back, one front and one useless, almost completed front. I can't easily undo the whole thing and reuse the yarn because the stripes mean that I would have a lot of short lengths. I can undo both fronts to the armholes and reknit them in a slightly different striped pattern, reducing the dark colour and maybe using some of it in the sleeves to tie it all together.
I have tried writing to a few Anny Blatt retailers and swap lists, but have never had any joy. Now, of course, it's been so long since I began and abandonded this garment, and I have moved from an apartment to a house in that time, and I have lost the ball bands that I so carefully saved. Not carefully enough.
This will probably go down in history as the first garment I have ever abandonded. I'd really like to finish it as it is. But I think I'm on a hiding to nothing here.
Back to the drawing board.