I just realised I haven't really blogged this here. It's made from a mystery 4-ply cotton I bought in Japan, a space-dyed greyish yellowish green. I unvented the pattern stitch, and called it 'dotbox' for obvious reasons. I'm really pleased at the way it's turning out.
I didn't put a bottom border on; I just cast on, with garter stitch borders for the fronts and at the sides, and worked in three pieces for 5cm, then joined them together. The side borders became three garter stitches at each side seam, and I put buttonholes in one front as I went. I shaped the side seams a bit for the waist.
I'm nearly up to the armholes, at which point I'll shape armscyes and start a V-neck, maintaining the garter stitch borders. If this works out as well as I think it will I will write my notes up properly.